Thursday, September 1, 2011

Living the dream.

It occurred to me the other day as I hurtled across the Williamsburg Bridge in my yellow cab, that right now I am in fact living out my dreams. What’s interesting though, is what the dream actually feels like when it becomes real. It’s lucky I’m writing this today, because today I’m feeling pretty ace. If I’d written it on another day, it might have been a little less chipper, and a lot more agitated. Because while dreams tend to consist of a few well chosen frames shot through the flattering haze of a Vaseline smeared lens, reality is a little more gritty. It’s a little less smooth, a little more lumpy.  As Shakespeare told us, all’s well that ends that way. And because I’m writing this story today – a happy day – we can conclude all is well. But my, it’s been quite a ride. Now in my third week at my new place of work, I have only just started to really clue in to exactly what it is I’m meant to be doing around here. I have only just managed to use my desk phone with any degree of confidence, and I’m only just starting to feel any iota of comfortable in my new surrounds. On the way to this point I have swung violently between feeling like I have found my true work home – a house of awesome brain stimulation – to feeling so alien that a visit from the F.B.I.’s department for extraterrestrials wouldn’t surprise me. Because, as I’ve said before, over here for me, almost every single thing is new. From the way people behave in the work place, to the way they express themselves, to how they order a salad, it’s all new information I need to negotiate, process and interpret. Information overload is an understatement. My brain has been bursting, my dreams have been teeming, and from time to time I have felt the hurried approach of a major freak-out. However, so far, I have successfully managed to keep the freak-out at bay. How you ask? By using my yogi-powers of course. In the same way that I credit my Bikram yoga experience for giving me the skills and determination to get to New York City in the first place, I am indebted to yoga for enabling me to keep my head. I have simply approached every challenge with the same mindset you use to survive (and even enjoy) a hot yoga session: one thing at a time. No big picture wigging out, just an in-the-moment, how-long-can-this-really-last mentality. By focusing on the one thing I’ve been dealing with at the time, and not thinking about any future or larger thing I don’t need to, this entire monstrous undertaking has been rendered entirely manageable. Even uncomfortable experiences, when they’re looked at in isolation, don’t seem so big and bad. And awesome ones, when you’re really present, can be celebrated all the more. Not to say I haven’t had some serious moments of “what the effing frick have I got myself into??!”. Only, by some miracle I’ve managed to recognize what I’ve got control over, what I can change and what I can’t, drop the stuff I can’t do a thing about and move on. It’s been wicked. And let it not be forgotten, that while living the dream might be challenging as all hell, it’s also equal parts unbelievably fun, exciting and cool. So if you’ve been thinking of diving into the dream arena, go right ahead. It’s an experience I would thoroughly recommend. 

2 comments:

  1. hey up Claire. Do you get to watch rugby over there? Come on England!
    I'm going to be staying in Brooklyn in a couple of weeks, for a week or so. It's my mum's 60th birthday and she wanted to do something different, lucky me! Can you suggest any cool places i go for tea and hang out?(I hear the coffee is really shit) I'd really appreciate it.
    thanks!
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie! Go to 5 Leaves on the corner of Bedford and Lorimer for the best coffee I've had in NYC. The food's good there too and they play good tunes. The Manhattan Inn is good for drinks, dinner and cool indie music acts playing in front of you while you eat (it's close to 5 Leaves on Manhattan Avenue, Greenpoint). Are you drinking? The Commodore is quite a crazy, cool pub, on Metropolitan and Havemeyer. Try the Commodore (their sig cocktail). El Beit is a good cafe for tea and coffee on Bedford Ave near maybe North 8th/North 9th. They have free wifi and everyone goes and works on their macbooks all day. Nice environment, chilled peeps, good music. And yes, I've been watching rugby. Go the All Blacks! Hey and if you get bored and would actually like to hang out at any point while you're in town, hit me up: clonzy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete