Saturday, November 6, 2010

I woke up without a hangover.

I should be used to this by now. Having just completed 365 days off alcohol, you'd think waking without a hangover would have gotten a little blah by now (for the record, it never gets blah, it's always awesome). Only this time, for the first time in a year, my Friday night's activities did involve alcohol. And not just a couple of drinks either. On my first night of being officially "back on the piss", I stomached no less than 11 alcoholic beverages, two of which were (amazing) cocktails, one of which was a cocktail shot, four of which were French Champagne and four of which were white wine. Holy crap. It makes me sick just thinking about it. But the weird thing is I wasn't. Sick I mean. In fact, and contrary to general popular prediction, I did not get hammered after my first sip, or hammered at all. I totally kept my shit together the whole night. I can remember basically everything that went on, down to conversation specifics, and I woke this morning reasonably hydrated, with a cleansed face free of last night's makeup, and with only the tiniest hint of a headache. A miracle? Only a little bit. I made sure I kept my water intake up all night, and a lot of the drinking we did was accompanied by really delicious food. Although what was a bit strange was that everyone else seemed to be getting a bit more hammered than me. Maybe they were drinking faster, or not sinking water along the way. I dunno. What I do know, is that today I felt great. In fact I'd go so far as to say I have felt kind of in love with the world all day. I think it's because, in finishing My Year Off The Piss, and reacquainting myself with my old evil friend alcohol, I have discovered an enormous sense of liberation. I am not only free to drink if I want to, having lifted the hard and fast rule of sobriety, but I am free to leave it alone if I want to as well. I know I can do it. And I am no longer nearly so enamoured of alcohol's charms. Drinking last night was fun, definitely. In a bar and party setting, it was fun to be a participating member of the party crew once more. But what's even more fun, is doing cool, successful shit. Alcohol's okay, but music projects, book projects, writing a brand new blog? It's these things I'm addicted to now. So better keep moving yeah? It's time to make some cool shit happen.

2 comments:

  1. It's strange in a way as a reader for you to be back ON the piss. I guess living with alcohol, and taking its benefits but not getting smacked with the burden, is the happy ending, but it's a little sad for us non-drinkers who turned to your blog for a little non-drinking inspiration (and I think many did, as most non-drinking websites are not run by normal people). It is a little like losing someone. I suppose though life is full of phases, and you are in the next one. The rest of us will have to entertain ourselves from a hopefully virtuous, trying to work out what's best, non-drinking perspective. I still would like to see how you go in the longer time, grog wise, in terms of whether or not the concerns that drove you from grog in the first place return along with old habits. I think they would for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Claire, congratulations on your milestone and your first day back on the piss (and not habouring a disgraceful hangover, good work!).

    ReplyDelete