Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A change of plan?

This is vaguely unnerving. I was going to say I don't like it when this happens, but that's not strictly true. What am I talking about? Well, I have a feeling that the terrain might be changing around me, and I may need to alter my map. The thought of changing my course so early in the journey is making me feel a little uneasy. But sometimes it can be more fun to ride a magic carpet, than stick to the train tracks. Shall I start making sense? Okay. After spending a day recording earlier this week, I realised, as I always do when I get into the studio, that it's a place I need to spend a lot more time. If I'm truly serious about getting my music project happening (which I truly am), I need to put my money where my mouth is and do the necessary things involved. The trouble is, just about all of these things actually literally require significant chunks of cash. Not unattainable quantities, but cash nonetheless. Now, because I've been saving for my big overseas adventure for the last little while, I am actually starting to get some dollars together. So what's the problem? It's a question of funds allocation. I could spend the money, as planned, on traveling to the states. I have wanted to live in New York for ages now. It's something I need to do. But for New York, I don't really have a plan. In a way, that's all part of the appeal - flick my job, pack my bags and go and see where the adventure takes me. And that's still a great idea. But what if, let's just say, I took that money and put it into working with a producer on more of my songs, getting photos done and the like? The rock 'n' roll dream is one I've had my whole life. And I am starting to see quite clearly now how I might be able to make it happen. Would it be silly to uproot my whole life just when I can see the stepping stones to achieving my dream all starting to line up? Or can I do both? For some inexplicable reason I feel like I can. It may take a little manoeuvering, and maybe some schedule adjustment, but somehow I believe I will find a way (and find the money) to do the music and go to New York. So don't panic anyone. Things may still be as they were. Leave it with me for a bit. I'll work it out.

2 comments:

  1. You should set up a studio, and chain yourself to your desk untill the only way you can free yourself will be on completion of the masterpiece. Then you'll be living the metaphor, sort of.
    Don't forget to bring caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be negative or anything but the thing with dreams is that it is worth really giving them a crack - even if you fail miserably (which most do) then you will have scratched the itch and be able to get on with a less exciting existence knowing that you gave it a good go. You just have to know when to let it go if you do give it a crack. One way is to set a timeframe eg two years.

    ReplyDelete