Saturday, March 5, 2011

Did I mention my home town got annihilated by an earthquake?

Amongst all my self-centred whatevers, I think I omitted the rather hulking fact that Christchurch, New Zealand, my birthplace, home and stomping ground since I first teeteringly managed to stomp at all, got shaken to its foundations by an enormous aftershock from the original September earthquake that happened there last year. The city has been reduced to rubble, and many people have died or been injured. Lots of people are homeless, and the ground continues to shake. Thanks to some incredibly positive force of the universe, none of my family or friends have died or been hurt. But they're living with the trauma that comes from experiencing a huge natural disaster and seeing the physical reality and history of your life drastically and abruptly altered forever. It's intense. I'm going back to Christchurch to see my family in April, before I head to Hawaii. I imagine it's going to be quite a confronting trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment