Thursday, March 3, 2011

I've had a brainwave.

Me oh my I've been a patchy blogger of late. Dropping in once a month or so, delivering scattered messages that dart this way and that. If you're still reading, I'd imagine it's all gotten the tiniest bit boring? Annoying? Something like that. But don't think I haven't been thinking about you - believe me I have. And I've had a bit of a special Claire-thought (whatever that is). If we're all honest, the concept of this blog isn't the most engaging in the world. Progress updates on my personal projects? Quite good for me, maybe mildly interesting for you from a kind of human behaviour + what happens next standpoint. But "quite good" and "mildly" aren't adjectives I've ever particularly aspired to. Maybe my latest idea might be more "freakin awesome". Okay, now I'm going to have to sidetrack for a second. Bear with me. Three days ago, I started another 31-day yoga challenge. O-oh, we know what can happen when I do one of those. Last time, I went teetotal for a whole frickin' year. But don't worry. I don't think I'll be doing that this time. What I've realised (and actually realised the first time, but apparently promptly forgot again) is that yoga challenges do something to my brain. They make me focus. Last time I focused on staying off alcohol, and held that focus by writing a blog about staying off alcohol every single day. I kidded myself that the staying off alcohol was to help me focus on doing more music, but in actual fact, the staying off alcohol ended up taking centre stage. And that's fine. It was something I needed to do. But here's my new idea. If music is the aim (which it is and always has been), why not do a blog that focuses entirely on that? Not New York, not getting books published, just the tunes. And seeing as simple seemed to work best last time, why not make this one freakin' simple too? So my idea? I set myself the challenge of writing and demoing a song a week for an as yet undecided period of time. Every week I put that song up on a dedicated blog for whomever cares to listen to it or comment on it. What I like about this idea is that it's something I have the basic skills to achieve entirely on my own. (Not relying on anyone for anything, it seems, is a good way to get stuff done faster in the music world. I'm still waiting on my mix and mastering for Take the Ride. It's literally taken all summer because of one thing or another.). What I also like is that it will make me stick to the plan - because there'll actually be a plan. A simple one. I'm not going to start it this second, because work is insane and I have a life to pack up and move around the world. But maybe when I get to the big smoke, I'll start it then. I'll keep you posted. Pop back in sometime and I'll let you know where and when.

No comments:

Post a Comment