Saturday, May 14, 2011

And then I find heaven.

In the form of a $3 pork belly taco served in an underground surf bar in Hell's Kitchen (yes, an underground surf bar in Hell's Kitchen), paradise presents itself. In the short space of time it took me to squeeze lime juice over the small fold of deliciousness and sink my nashers into its heavenly depths, I had an epiphany. In a flash, I irrevocably knew two things: 1. That this taco was the best piece of food I had EVER eaten, and 2. That I had never actually had a food epiphany before. It was wild! Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed good food - but not like this. This was a moment of actual magic in my mouth, where no other thing in the universe, past, present, or future mattered more. Holy crap. I think I may be one of the converted. Converted definitely anyway, to regular attendance at $3 Taco Tuesdays at Reunion, the unlikely surf bar in Hell's Kitchen. Because this place, for me, really does represent a slice of heaven. And it's not just the tacos. Blaring an immaculate selection of 50s and 60s rock 'n' roll and surf music, and with the bar propped up by an eye-pleasing array of the handsome, interesting and cooly tattooed, this little hidey-hole is the pocket of fun I've been searching for for a good chunk of my adult life. Slap a happy hour and some tongue-tingling tacos on top and you have Claire on cloud nine - even sitting as I was, two flights underground in the bowels of Hell.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of pork belly in a taco; but now have a weird craving to try one. Ha!

    ReplyDelete