Saturday, May 21, 2011

No no no no no no no no YES.

Yesterday I was going to write a very depressing blog post, to the tune of "New York I love you, but I kind of hate you too". This was because yesterday I got stood up by a creative director for a meeting (he went to London instead), then walked about 20 blocks in cold and very wet misty rain, making several wrong turns due to disorientation (just when you think you've got your directions sussed, your inner dumb-dumb bares itself again in a disappointing and obvious display of fresh off the boat), then found out I couldn't make the bank transaction I had walked all those blocks to make, then got on a train home that turned out to be an express which, quite within its rights, zoomed straight past my stop (dumb-dumb was having a field day). Also, as happens when you're job hunting, I had reached a small dead-end of despair, having sent out many a message and resume and enthusiastic entreaty to please consider getting me in for at least maybe a small chat, and having received one large reply of fat silence. Lucky I didn't write that though, because today was different. Thanks to a rejuvenating pep talk from my guardian angel cousin Charlotte, I had gone to bed feeling at least ready to attack another day of job slog with energy and optimism in the morning. Thank you Charlotte! And so I woke, cranked open my gmail (my Pandora's box of potential wonder and damnation, and my first check-in point for every day), and there sitting in my inbox was a shining jewel. It was a reply from one of the many positions I had applied for - and not just any position either. While not a paid job, it was for a place on a style council of fashion, make-up, and skincare bloggers known as The Passionistas. In return for a swag of fashion and make-up perks, each Passionista was to review various products, services, brands and labels from her own, unique style perspective. They wanted girls with a strong sense of their own look and style, and demonstrated writing ability. And oh my gosh, it turns out they want me. In fact, they even said they might use my writing style as a guide for the other gals. Hurrah! So, buoyed up by this unexpected turn into success street, I decided to try calling the seriously cool Chief Creative Officer I have been email stalking for some months now. I got his assistant. I left a message. And I waited for a reply. Many hours passed, but in the meantime I decided to do a little research on the latest happenings at the agency he works for. In a curious swing of coincidence, they had just won a major chunk of some serious luxury make-up and fragrance brands. Me a newly appointed fashion and makeup Passionista blogger, and they the recently appointed agency for some of my favourite makeup and skincare brands? Wow! The serendipity of the whole thing whipped me into a weird state of excitement and I did an impulsive thing (we know how I like to be impulsive). I emailed said CCO again, asking him if we could talk makeup - today? Tomorrow? And then I had a tiny quiet freakout that I may have just blown my chances by exhibiting a perhaps alarming level of enthusiasm. And then I went out for tacos. When I returned home, there was another email waiting for me: "Come in and see me for lunch on Wednesday", followed by a meeting request from his assistant. Halle-effing-luljah! One minute you think you're getting nowhere, the next you're teeing up lunch dates with your advertising idols. Maybe alarming enthusiasm, in this crazy town, is the key to entering yes-land.

No comments:

Post a Comment